Saturday, August 18, 2012

Grand Canyon - Day 2 (Friday)

Grand Canyon Day 2 was my 23rd birthday!  I woke up to note from Patrick saying that he tried to throw me a great birthday party, but our friends didn't want to come to Arizona for the party.  What friends I have…  Instead, I'd have to settle for a present… an Ipad! Don't I have a great husband?

We spent the day hiking in the Park.  We started the day with a 6 mile hike down into the canyon.  The hike was 3 miles down and 3 miles back up.  We hiked to Skeleton Point from the South Kaibab Trailhead.  Well, the first three miles were easy… then we had to hike back out of the canyon.  Wow, the hike back out was steep, but it was worth it.  It was so neat to be hiking in the Grand Canyon.  The Grand Canyon is about 5,000 feet deep (down to the Colorado River).  We hiked down about 2,000 feet.  So, we'd have to double that hike plus hike another 1,000 feet just to get down to the river.  Whew, that would be difficult to hike back up.  The park strongly discourages any groups from hiking farther than we did in one day.  We brought 4 bottles of water and drank all of them on our way out of the canyon!  We were hungry for some lunch when we got back to the shuttle station, so Patrick treated me to lunch at the pizza pub in Maswik Lodge in the Park.  Delicious! And, ordering a pizza didn't seem to be so overpriced, compared to other National Park restaurants.
After lunch, we hiked the rim trail for about 3 miles back to the Visitor's Center, where our car was parked.  By the time we got to our car, I was very tired!  We did a lot of hiking yesterday, and the hike back out of the canyon wiped me out!
After I mustered up the energy to take a shower back at the camper, Patrick took me out to dinner at a steakhouse in the little town we were staying in.  We finished off the evening with the birthday cake Patrick made from scratch in the camper… wait, we don't have an oven.  We had Frosty's for my birthday dessert from Wendy's while watching the lightning storm roll in.  (If you know us well, you'd know that Patrick and I love to get ice cream.  If you've followed the blog regularly, you've probably picked up on that.)

The mule deer we saw as we entered the park yesterday


A picture of Patrick as we started our hike into the canyon


Down we go


An awesome overlook!


Very neat views!


See me on that point out there?


Wow! The canyon is so huge!

 

A crow flying over the canyon


At an overlook on the Rim Trail

 

Are the views or my husband more attractive? Haha!


An awesome picture that Patrick took as the sun was going down and clouds were rolling in


Birthday dessert!


See that lightning on the right? Patrick was changing the settings on the camera.


Just caught a little bit of that lightning streak


Then there were some beautiful stars out



No comments:

Post a Comment